Save on dishes this winter with this spicey one pot Mexican chicken favourite! Recommended by our Dietitian Cassandra, this dinner will warm you up from the inside out!
- Extra virgin olive oil spray
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 200 g skinless chicken breast
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2/3 cup rice (uncooked)
- 1/2 capsicum, chopped
- 1/2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tsp reduced-salt vegetable stock powder
- fresh coriander, to garnish.
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan that has a lid. Cook onion and garlic for 2 minutes, until softened.
2. Add chicken and cook for another 3 minutes, until the chicken has a light golden colour but is not quite cooked through.
3. Add the spices and rice and cook for a minute, stirring.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to the boil, stirring often.
5. Reduce the heat, put the lid on and simmer, stirring every 5 minutes. If the dish is dry or sticking to the pan, add a splash of water, stir and put the lid back on.
6. Simmer until chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender, about 12-15 minutes.
7. Serve with lime wedges and fresh coriander.
Cook time: 35-40mins.
**adapted from livelighter.com.au