I love a good bean dish – on toast, in wraps, and in soups now that the Winter months have arrived. After cracking open yet another tin of baked beans the other day, I thought to myself, sure these are pretty tasty and a quick, healthy, easy meal, but surely making them would be just as simple?
A quick search on my beloved google revealed a number of recipes to try – so I took the plunge and gave this one by Vegan Sparkles a go (don’t fear the word Vegan, I assure you it doesn’t mean rabbit food!). I changed the recipe slightly to my tastes – omitted the onions and added some coconut flour just to make the tomato sauce nice and thick.
High in fibre, low in fat, low GI and full of flavour in just over 10 mins – what a winner! I had mine with some smashed avocado/goats cheese on a slice of rye toast. YUM!
If you would like to know more about healthy eating and nutrition information, contact Jess at our Boronia clinic to book in for an appointment.
Prep time – 5 mins
Cook time – 15 mins
From the kitchen of: Rebecca Weller – Vegan Sparkle Serves: 2-3
- Splash of coconut oil (optional)
- 1 small brown onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup crushed or sieved tomatoes (from a jar)
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup semi-dried tomatoes (or more cherry tomatoes)
- 400g/14oz can Borlotti beans (or your favourite beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp dried cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried cayenne pepper
- Sea salt & cracked black pepper
- Heat oil (or a splash of water) in a pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring, until onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes to release their sweetness.
- Add beans, herbs and spices and continue to simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Taste and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- Serve on toast or fresh crusty bread, and enjoy!
This recipe comes courtesy of Rebecca Weller – Vegan Sparkle and adapted from http://vegansparkles.com/2013/09/11/easy-healthy-home-made-baked-beans