PROGRESSIVE MUSCLE RELAXATION
Now, I want you to release your shoulders from your ears, unclench your jaw and take a deep breath in, and now, out. Did you realise that you were EVEN carrying tension in these areas and, do you know for HOW long you were tensing for? If you answered no to both questions, then Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR) may be the perfect tool for you to become more aware of how your body responds to stress, anxiety or fear. PMR is a relaxation sequence of tensing an area of the body for 5 seconds and relaxing for 10 seconds. Like with learning any new skill, the more practice you do, the better you will become at noticing how your muscles react to stress and, most importantly, how to train them to respond differently!
- Tell your muscles to ‘let go’or ‘relax’
- Schedule practice into your diary!
- Be comfortable: sit in a supportive chair, wear loose clothing, take your shoes off
- Minimise distractions: Dim the lights, mute your phone and pop away in another room
- If you have any physical injuries, please consult a Stay Tuned practitioner or your doctor before beginning
PROGRESSIVE MUSCLE … read more »